One of the questions we’re asked most often at Floor Coverings International North Central New Jersey is how our customers can tell if it’s time to change their carpeting. While there is no foolproof rule that says exactly when to refresh your carpets, there are a few signs that signal it’s time for a change.
- Water Stains—We said there is no absolute measure of whether it’s time to replace your carpeting, but water damage is one telltale sign that homeowners shouldn’t ignore. Water damage breeds mold, which is very dangerous to those living in the home. If your carpet has water damage and you’re wondering if it’s time for a replacement, the answer is yes.
- Carpet Odors—Have you noticed a lingering odor in a room that you can’t quite place? If your home has older carpeting, it’s possible that your carpets are the source of the smell. If your carpets are emitting a stale or musty odor, it’s a great time to consider a replacement.
- Carpet Lies Unevenly—The padding underneath carpeting can become worn with time, and as it ages, it may cause your carpet to wrinkle, lie unevenly, or make a “crinkling” sound as you walk. This padding damage is a good indicator that it’s time for a carpet replacement.
- Moving—If you’re putting your house on the market soon, it’s worth discussing whether to add new carpeting to your home with your realtor. Dingy carpets stand out to new buyers and can lower the asking price of your home, while newer carpets tend to attract buyers.
- Design Fatigue—Sometimes you’re simply tired of your home’s interior design scheme and feel design fatigue from your current carpet. If your carpet feels out of date to you, your own preferences are a great indication that it’s time for an update.
We hope these tips and tricks help as you consider whether it’s time to replace your current carpeting. At Floor Coverings International North Central New Jersey, we proudly serve the greater South Plainfield area and are experts in carpet selection and installation. If you’re interested in new carpeting, we’ll bring our mobile showroom to you so you can evaluate our carpet samples in your own home. Every Design Consultation also comes with a free estimate and project proposal to help you plan your carpeting update. Call us today to book your appointment and replace your old carpeting with the flooring of your dreams!
Photo: Mikhail Klyoshev